Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Lettuce Anaphylaxis

Lettuce anaphylaxis: lettuce allergy (that simple)

14 known cases in the world (none in the US)

So last night, I helped host a good luck/going-away party for friends that are heading to Hawaii for a marathon, two of them
(females) I train with. Somehow, I get in conversation about getting physichally fit, diet, and etc, but of course it was with the wrong people, three overweight women. Now, my friends have lost a lot of weight and they look great and they are training for and running in a marathon. One woman commented, they'll just gain all their weight back; it's possible. Another woman commented they looked good before why did they have to change; yes, they were cute, but now they are lookers. And another commented on how men only want skinny women; not necessarily true, but I can understand where that comment comes from.

Now, I'm particularly sensitive to this issue, because while not obese I have battle being chubby (20lbs overweight) and fat (50lbs overweight), finally I'm lean and fit. So I'm listen to them basically bash their friends.

Sniper: "Look, they have been training since April and they have done a kick ass job. They lost tons of weight and they can now run 24 miles. I think it's great. I have been running on and off for 10 years and I cannot come close to doing 24 miles."
Woman1: "Men are different."
Woman2: "They are single girls, they have time for stuff like that."
Sniper: "What being healthy is not a priority in your life?"
Woman2: "I mean they don't have kids or a husband to take away from their time to exercise."
Sniper: "So you rather do nothing?"
Woman2: "I have tried blah, blah, blah..."
Sniper: "When they get back spend a week with us at the gym?"
Woman2: "We'll see."
Woman3: "I wish I could diet, but I'm allergic to lettuce".
Sniper: "You're allergic to crunchy water."
Women3: "Yes."
Sniper: "You're allergic to one of two vegetables that have no nutritional value or calories?"
Women3: "Yes."
Sniper: "Are you allergic to water?"
Women3: "No."
Sniper: "Do you exercise?"
Women3: "No."

I walked away I could not take it anymore. You don't just let things happen. You have to make them happen. This made me realize that every step, I take in pua, is just one step closer to my goal. I stumble all the time, but I keep trying.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

side note, calorie for calorie, leafy greens are one of the most nutrient rich foods.

tadpoled.blogspost.com

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. I'm new to the PUA community, but would like to exchange ideas with you. Work in DC.

useram at hotmail dot com